Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Interactive class??

Ok so I'm teaching what's known as an "interactive class" this semester. (My first thought was aren't all my classes interactive.) This is a little different I have a camera and a video monitor on my end and there is a camera and video monitor in a class room across town. In a perfect world my image would be projected on one screen and my Power Points would be on the other. For various reasons this is not working and we've had to seriously tweak the system and it's mostly working now but it is very different.
1) I'm yelling: as I lecture I'm talking way louder than I usually do to try and make sure the remote class can hear me.
2) I can't walk that much: I'm usually someone who walks half a mile or so during he course of a lecture I can't do that here because it moves me away from the microphon eso my voice comes and goes.. not good. they're working on getting me a wireless microphone we'll see.
3) eye contact: there isn't any with the remote class but that didn't stop me from staring down the computer screen and trying to MAKE eye contact all the while ignoring the class in front of me. My bad working on that one.

all in all very strange and I'm not sure it's worth all the trouble

No comments: