Thursday, November 22, 2007

Speaking of Thanksgiving songs

What are the holidays without embarrassing family stories. When my sister was in first grade she attended the same school at which my mom taught. Each class took turns doing the "morning program" where the class would crowd into the office and do a little "broadcast" over the PA system. Apparently my sister's class had the morning program sometime around Thanksgiving. My mom is in her classroom happily listening to her daughter's class doing the morning program when she hears the announcement that Elizabeth is going to sing a Thanksgiving song. At this point mom gets a little curious (actually I think horrified is a better word) because she knows darn well that my sister doesn't KNOW any Thanksgiving songs. Undeterred by this minor detail my sister grabs the mic and starts improvising a Thanksgiving song. Apparently, once she got on a roll she just went with it. Mom doesn't remember how it all ended but it had to be good. To this day my sister 1) still remembers the Thanksgiving song and 2) has taught it to her children.
Writing this has helped me understand that there is a larger dynamic at work here. My mom, despite being a teacher, goes out of her way to avoid limelight. My sister seeks it out. The results are the stuff of family legend.

1 comment:

Lizspirit said...

Don't sell short the timeless lyrics; "Tur-key tur-key tur-key on the table.... dres-sing dres-sing dres-sing on the table... bre-ead bre-ad bre-ad on the table." A family favorite! (I own the rights to this classic big bro!)