Thursday, December 13, 2007

..... and so it goes

Grades are in and I'm decompressing. It's been a pretty good semester Archaeogirl and I are closing in on something that is going to be a BIG chance but I think a good one. So of course my thoughts have turned to next semester.

I was more organized this semester than in the past (those of you who know me know it's a BIG struggle of mine) but the wife's idea of a big accordion folder that I just take with me everywhere and put everything in works GREAT so that hurdle is overcome.

I need to spend more time teaching my students how to be successful in college. I'm at a community college and I really think some of them could use the extra help. I give them a lot of supplemental material and I think it's overwhelming to them. I need to help guide them not only in my class but I college in general. Some will always be successful, some will never be successful but there are enough in the middle that I feel I need to address them.

I need to be clearer and stricter about my policies. In particular my makeup policy. I simply can NOT have students coming in in the last week of class to make up tests. I don't have the time to deal with that at the end of the semester.

I think I need to diversify my class. Right now it's just based on testing. I'm thinking about adding some hands on work it'll give them a chance to pull their grades up and it'll help them to understand some of the concepts better.

ok I'm too tied to write. hasta

No comments: